Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Aunt Bernice's Carrot Cake Recipe - a Hydrangea House Inn favorite!

My Aunt Bernice and Uncle Walter owned a 48 bed nursing home back in the 50's through the 70's. I grew up there in a private home on the sprawling property for the first 8 years of my life. I have fond memories of that time---exploring the wooded acreage, fishing on the ponds (skating in the winter), and sitting on a tall stool in the nursing home's kitchen watching "Cookie" create her daily magic for the resident's in house. Cookie was my aunt and uncle's chef. Even though I was young, she brought her skills to me. And, I am told, I cooked, while unsupervised, my first fried egg when I was just 3 while standing on a chair by the stove in my own parent's kitchen. (Fortunately, I not longer have to stand on a chair!)

Here is my Aunt Bernice's Carrot Cake recipe. It's a winner! And it makes great muffins too! After baked, be sure to add your own favorite cream cheese frosting. And, like we tell all our guest at Hydrangea House Inn, "We don't cook with calories"....this recipe is no exception! Just enjoy!

Boil together:
3/4 C oil
2 C shredded carrots
1 C crushed pinapple
2 C sugar

Until carrots are tender...just about 5 minutes. cool.

Sift together:
2 C flour
2 Tsp. Soda
2 Tsp Cinammon
1/2 Tsp nutmeg
1/2 Tsp. Cloves
1/2 Tsp. Salt

Add to:
3 eggs well beaten
1 C. chopped nuts (walnuts are fine...."Have you seen the price lately?"
1 C shredded coconut

Bake in a well greased 13 x 9 pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Call me if you have any questions.

Grant (Edmondson)
Owner/Innkeeper/Chef and anything else asked of me!
401-846-4435

No comments: